Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar Specifications, Features and Price
- Release date:: June, 2022
- Display:: 1.3 inches, Transflective (MIP) LCD, Touchscreen
- Body:: Silicone, Fiber-reinforced polymer
- Battery Life:: 20 days
- Storage:: 32GB ROM
- Compatibility:: Android 6.0+ and iOS 13.0+
|Design:||(4.6 / 5)|
|Battery:||(4.6 / 5)|
|Fitness tracking:||(4.9 / 5)|
|Features:||(4.4 / 5)|
|Price:||(3.9 / 5)|
|Average:||(4.5 / 5)|
Cyber Monday: The Best Smartwatch Deals! View Deals!
Cyber Monday: The Best Smartwatch Deals! View Deals!
Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar Specifications and Features – The Forerunner 955 succeeds the Forerunner 945 and it comes with a host of new features which includes a larger display size, higher storage capacity, and longer battery life. It also features the new multi-band GPS sensor that enables improved outdoor activity tracking for your routes and locations.
The Forerunner 955 comes in two models, the standard and solar model. The Forerunner 955 Solar is the same as the Forerunner 955 standard model, however, with it’s solar charging power glass, it has a longer battery life that lets you go longer from a single charge. As a result, the Solar model cost $100 more than the Standard unit.
Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar Design and Price
Garmin Forerunner 955 is a durably built smartwatch, it comes in a fiber-reinforced polymer case with Power glass protecting the display. The straps are made of silicone and are interchangeable with 22mm compatible straps. It’s quite compact at 46.5mm but unfortunately thick at 14.4mm. However, it’s a very lightweight smartwatch at 53 grams, and it’s available in two colors; black and whitestone colors.
The Forerunner 955 is also rated 5ATM with support for open water swim tracking added, it’s very safe to wear the watch to the pool or open water.
Despite welcoming transformation in the design and new features, the Forerunner 955 has a $499.99 price tag.
Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar Display
Just like most Garmin smartwatches, transflective memory-in-pixel powers the display of the Forerunner 955. The display is colorful, and it measures 1.3 inches which is slightly bigger than the 1.2 inches of the Forerunner 945. The Forerunner 955 now has a touch-sensitive screen which in addition to 5 physical buttons makes it a lot easier to navigate.
Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar Fitness Tracking Features
Beyond the design, the Forerunner 955 is a comprehensive fitness smartwatch. It comes with an improved Elevate v4 heart rate sensor as well as other sensors such as an accelerometer, altimeter, gyroscope, compass, pulse OX sensor, and the new multi-band GPS sensor. It will track all the basics such as your sleep, heart rate, steps, distance, and calories. It also features advanced metrics like training effects, VO2 max, recovery time, training load, and the iconic PacePro.
It comes with an inbuilt GPS that enables outdoor activity tracking. It’s a premium GPS smartwatch and as such, it features in-depth tools that can help you get the best outdoor activity adventure. It also features a full-color map that can help you find your best routes as well as the turn-by-turn navigation that alerts you beforehand of the next turn. Also present on the Forerunner 955 is the ability to monitor blood oxygen (SpO2), menstrual cycle tracking for women and there are lots of preloaded sports modes to choose from. New workout profiles have also been added.
Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar Music Storage and Notifications
Garmin has rammed up the storage capacity of the Forerunner 955 to twice that of its predecessor. It comes with a 32GB onboard music storage capacity that can take up to 2000 tracks. You can sync and download your favorite playlists from Spotify, Deezer, and Amazon music. It also has an NFC that supports Garmin pay which allows you to make payments directly from this watch.
Beyond these, you can also manage notifications with the Forerunner 955. When notification is enabled for your preferred apps in the Connect IQ app, you will receive SMS, calls, and app notifications when your phone is nearby. Moreover, you can reply to messages but only with Android smartphones.
Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar Battery Life
The Forerunner 955 Solar boasts of a decent battery life that lets you go long from a single charge with smartwatch mode lasting up to 20 days and continuous GPS tracking up to 49 hours.
Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar Features
- It comes with a 1.3 inches colorful transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP) display that is bright and easy to read outdoors.
- Touchscreen display with 5 physical buttons for easy navigation.
- Clock features include time/date, GPS time sync, auto daylight saving, alarm, timer and stopwatch.
- Download watch faces, widgets, data fields and apps from the Garmin Connect IQ Store which is now onboard the watch.
- Calls reject/text response with preset texts (Android only).
- Find my phone, watch, control music on smartphone and remote camera control.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you, so you never get to miss important updates.
- It is rated 5ATM which represents 50 meters waterproof rating (swim-proof).
- 22mm interchangeable straps with quick release feature.
- Make payment directly from the watch with Garmin Pay.
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices. Check if your device is compartible
- Sync and upload data from watch to the Garmin Connect community – a thriving community of fitness enthusiasts where you can connect and share.
- 32GB onboard storage capacity with support for streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer, and Amazon Music.
Garmin Forerunner 955 Activity Tracking Features
Health Monitoring Features
- 24/7 heart rate monitoring
- Resting heart rate
- Abnormal heart rate (high and low)
- Respiratory rate
- Blood oxygen measurement
- Fitness age (shows your fitness status)
- Battery energy monitor (gives you insight into your fitness level to help you know the best time to train)
- Stress monitoring
- Relaxation reminder
- Relaxation breathing reminder
- Sleep tracking
- Sleep score insights
- Hydration tracking
- Menstrual cycle tracking for women
- Health snapshot
Safety and Tracking Features
- Spectator Messaging
- Group LiveTrack
- Live event sharing
- Incidental fall detection
Allows your family and friends to follow your outdoor workout activities in real time.
Will allow your family and friends to send your an audio or text message during your outdoor workout activity (phone must be nearby).
Allows you to manage your followers using LiveTrack directly from the screen and in real time.
Allows you to send real-time updates on your outdoor training activity to family and friends.
Will enable the watch to detect a hard fall. When a hard fall is detected and your phone is nearby, the watch will activtate Assistance.
When Assistance is activated, the watch will automatically send a message with your name and current location to a preset emergency contact (phone must be nearby).
- Dual grid coordinates
Activity Tracking Features
- Steps counter
- Move bar (Displays on device after a period of inactivity; walk for a couple of minutes to reset it)
- Auto goal (Learns your activity level and assigns a daily step goal)
- Calories burnt
- Floors climbed
- Distance travelled
- Move IQ
- Garmin Connect Challenges app (optional Connect IQ app)
Gym and Fitness Equipment
- Automatic rep counting
- Available gym profiles (strength, HIIT, cardio, elliptical training, stair stepping, floor climbing, indoor climbing, bouldering, indoor rowing, pilates and yoga)
- Strenght workout
- HIIT workouts
- Yoga workouts
- Pilates workouts
- Onscreen workout animations
- Onscreen workout muscle maps
Heart Rate Tracking Features
- HR zones
- HR alerts
- HR calories
- % HR max
- Recovery time (measures how well you’ve recovered from previous training)
- Auto Max HR
- Morning report New
- Race glance/widget New
- HRV status New
- Training readiness New
- HR Broadcast (broadcasts HR data over ant+™ to paired devices)
Training, Planning, and Analysis Features
- GPS speed and distance
- Customizable data pages
- Customizable activity profiles
- Auto pause
- Interval training
- Improved interval (Includes open repeats, intervals data page, rest screen and auto detection) New
- Advanced workouts
- Downloadable training plans
- Auto lap
- Manual lap
- Rest timer
- Configurable lap alerts
- Heat and altitude acclimation
- VO2 Max. (run)
- VO2 Max. (trail run)
- Real-time stamina
- Training status (improved)
- Training load
- Training load focus
- Training effect (aerobic)
- Training effect (anaerobic)
- Primary benefit (Training effect labels)
- Improved recovery time
- Daily suggested workouts (for 7 days)
- Custom alerts
- Audio prompts
- Finish time
- Virtual partner
- Race an activity
- Auto multisport activities
- Manual multisport activities
- Course guildance
- Garmin live segments
- Strava live segments
- Round-trip course creator (cycling and running)
- Trendline Popularity routing
- Touch and/or button lock
- Hot keys
- Auto scroll
- Activity history on watch
- Physio trueUp
- Available run profiles include Running, outdoor track running, treadmill running, indoor track running, trail running, virtual running, and ultra running.
- GPS-based distance, pace and time
- Running dynamics (with compatible accessory)
- Vertical oscillation and ratio (with compatible accessory)
- Ground contact time and balance (with compatible accessory)
- Real-time stride length (with compatible accessory)
- Running power (with compatible accessory) (improved)
- Performance condition
- Lactate threshold (with compatible accessory)
- Run workouts
- Trail run auto climb
- Race predictor
- Course and weather-specific race predictor
- Foot pod capable
- Preloaded with 42000 courses worldwide
- Yardage to F/M/B (distance to front, middle and back of green)
- Yardage to layups/doglegs
- Measures shot distance (calculates exact yardage for shots from anywhere on course) (automatic)
- Digital scorecard
- Stat tracking (strokes, putts per round, greens and fairways hit)
- Garmin autoshot
- Auto courseview updates
- Green view with manual pin position
- Hazards and course targets
- Handicap scoring
- Round timer/odometer
- Tournament legal
Outdoor Recreational Features
- Available outdoor recreational profiles include Hiking, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, backcountry skiing, xc classic skiing, xc skate skiing, stand up paddleboarding, rowing, kayaking, snowshoeing, mapping, navigating, tennis, pickleball, padel, track me and project waypoint.
- Point-to-point navigation
- Breadcrumb trail in real-time
- Back to start
- Ultra mode
- Around me mode
- Up ahead
- Elevation profile
- Distance to destination
- Barometric trend indicator with storm alert
- ClimbPro ascent planner
- Vertical speed
- Total ascent/decent
- Feature elevation plot
- Preloaded topographical maps
- Preloaded road and trail maps
- Downloadable cartography support
- GPS coordinates
- Sight and go
- Area calculation (via Connect IQ)
- Hunt/fish calender (via Connect IQ)
- Projected waypoint
- Sun and moon information
- Xero locations
Allows you see real-time information on your current and upcoming climbs, including gradient, distance and elevation gain.
- Available cycling profiles include Biking, road biking, mountain biking, gravel biking, bike commuting, bike touring, ebiking, emountain biking, indoor biking and cyclocross.
- Cycle map with routable cycling-specific street map
- MTB Grit and Flow
- Bike lap and lap maximum power (with power sensor
- Race an activity
- Functional threshold power (with compatible accessory)
- Compatible with vector and rally power meters
- Power meter compatible
- Advanced cycling dynamics
- Compatible with Varia Vision (head-mounted display)
- Compatible with Varia radar (rear-facing radar)
- Compatible with Varia lights
- Speed and cadence sensor support (w/sensor)
Swim Tracking Features
- Available swim profiles include pool swimming, open water wwimming and swimming/running
- Open-water swim metrics include distance, pace, stroke count/rate, stroke distance, swim efficiency (SWOLF) and calories
- Pool swim metrics include lengths, distance, pace, stroke count, swim efficiency (swolf) and calories
- Stroke type detection includes freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly (pool swim only)
- Drill logging (pool swim only)
- Basic rest timer (up from 0) (pool swim only)
- Repeat on rest timer (pool swim only)
- Auto rest (pool swim only)
- Time and distance alerts
- Pacing alerts (pool swim only)
- Countdown start (pool swim only)
- Pool swim workouts
- Critical swim speed
- Underwater heart rate tracking
- Heart rate from external HRM (real-time during rests, interval and session stats during rests, and automatic heart rate download post-swim)
- Premium design, rugged and stylish design.
- A comprehensive multisport GPS smartwatch.
- 32GB onboard music storage.
- Full color maps with trendline popularity.
- Up to 20 days long battery life.
- Lacks microphone and loudspeaker.
Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar
Garmin Forerunner 945
Garmin Forerunner 955, Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar
46.5 x 46.5 x 14.4 mm
LCD, Memory-in-pixel (MIP), transflective
260 x 260 px
|Custom watch face||
5 Physical buttons, Touchscreen
Galileo, GLONASS, GPS
|Memory card slot|
|Third-party apps alert||
|Pulse oximeter (SpO2)||
Multi-band GPS sensor
|Heart rate monitoring||
|Underwater heart rate tracking||
GPS mode (no music): Up to 49 hrs, Smartwatch mode: Up to 20 days
Android 6.0+, iOS 13.0+
|Find my phone||
Charger, Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar, Manual, Straps