The Versa 2 which succeeds the popular Versa is now equipped with a microphone that enables Alexa voice assistant. It’s also more attractive than its predecessor with a longer battery life and a more interactive AMOLED display. In this post, we compare it with the Ionic which has remained one of the best choices for comprehensive fitness tracking.
Fitbit Versa 2 vs Ionic Specifications Compared
Fitbit Versa 2 Specifications, Features and Price
Fitbit Ionic Specifications, Features and Price
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Fitbit Versa 2||Fitbit Ionic|
|Device type||Fitness/Sport smartwatch||Fitness/Sport smartwatch|
|Release date||September, 2019||August, 2017|
|Successor||Fitbit Versa 3||—|
|Versions||Fitbit Versa 2 Special Edition, Fitbit Versa 2 Standard Edition||—|
|Dimension||40 x 40 x 12 mm||38 x 38 x 12 mm|
|Weight||40 grams||30 grams|
|Strap size||140 – 180mm (small), 180 -220mm (big)||140 – 180mm (small), 180 -220mm (big)|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla Glass||Corning Gorilla Glass 3|
|Water resistance||Yes, 5ATM||Yes, 5ATM|
|Swim-proof||Yes, recommended||Yes, recommended|
|Color||Black, Bordeaux, Grey, Petal/copper rose, Stone/mist grey||Gray, Orange, Silver|
|Display size||1.4 inches||1.42 inches|
|Display type||AMOLED||LCD, transflective|
|Display resolution||—||348 x 250 pixel|
|Custom watch face||Yes||Yes|
|Input type||1 Physical button, Touchscreen||3 Physical buttons, Touchscreen|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth v4.0||Bluetooth v4.0|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|Third-party apps alert||Yes||Yes|
|Reply to Notifications||-||-|
|Sensor(s)||Vibration motor||Vibration motor|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Underwater heart rate tracking||No||No|
|Battery type||non-removable Lithium-polymer||non-removable Lithium-polymer|
|Battery life||Regular: 5 days+, Standby: 8 days+||Regular: 4 days+, Standby :5 days+|
|Charging type||Charging dock||Charging dock|
|Operating system||Fitbit OS||Fitbit OS|
|Companion app||Fitbit App||Fitbit App|
|Compatibility||Android, iOS||Android, iOS|
|Payment system||Fitbit Pay||Fitbit Pay|
|Voice command||Yes, Alexa||No|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Fitbit Versa 2, Manual, Straps||Charger, Fitbit Ionic, Manual, Straps|
Which is Better?
While the Versa 2 and Ionic share a lot of features in common, there are a few differences between these two which are listed below.
- Although these two are very compact, the Ionic is a slightly more compact smartwatch. It also weighs a little less than the Versa 2, even though the two are very lightweight.
- The display type also differs as a more colorful and interactive AMOLED powers the Versa 2, while a transflective LCD powers the display of the Ionic. Nonetheless, the Ionic has a decent display that is easy to read in any ambient condition.
- Moreover, the Ionic comes with inbuilt GPS which the Versa 2 lacks, this makes the Ionic a better choice for outdoor activity tracking. With the Ionic, you don’t need to carry your along to map your routes and locations. However, with the Versa 2, you must carry your phone along to track your routes and locations. After an outdoor workout, you can view the map of your routes and locations in the Fitbit app.
- Both smartwatches are equipped to track all your daily activities like your steps, calories, heart rate, floors climbed, and sleep. There is a breathing exercise app that can guide you through a breathing session to help you reduce stress. Both watches also feature the onscreen animated workouts that can guide you through some of your favorite workouts as well as 15 preloaded sports modes.
- You get 4GB of storage capacity that allows you to load your personal music onboard any of these two. You can also load music from music streaming services such as Deezer and Pandora.
Moreover, the Versa 2 also ships with a microphone that enables Alexa voice assistant which allows you to carry out some tasks simply with your voice, and of course, this can improve your productivity significantly. The Ionic lacks a microphone.
- From my experience, I get about 5-6 days of battery life with the Versa 2. This is slightly longer battery life than the Ionic which has about 4 days of battery life. Although, these two have a decent battery life when compared to other smartwatches on the market.
VERDICT: These two are no doubt remarkable in their designs and features. However, I think the Versa 2 is a better bargain. It spots a more colorful display, slightly longer battery life, and also features an Alexa voice assistant.
On the other hand, the Fitbit Ionic is also a great choice with decent features, especially the inbuilt GPS. It’s no doubt a great smartwatch, at least not until recently when it was recalled as a result of battery overheating issues.