Black Friday: The Best Smartwatch Deals! View Deals!
Black Friday: The Best Smartwatch Deals! View Deals!
The Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic are the newest smartwatches from Samsung. Both smartwatches come in two sizes and each of these sizes is available in LTE and Bluetooth/WiFi models. While the Galaxy Watch 4 comes in 44mm and 40mm, the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic comes in 46mm and 42mm. One is a more compact smartwatch with a sporty appearance while the other is a classic watch with a traditional watch appearance. In this post, we’ll be comparing the difference between the Galaxy Watch 4 Bluetooth vs LTE model to help you decide which is the right choice for you.
The newly released Galaxy Watch 5 which succeeds the Galaxy Watch 4 is also available in LTE and Bluetooth, you can check out the differences.
There is no much difference between the 44mm and 40mm except for differences in sizes, battery life, and prices. In the same vein, the Bluetooth model has the same features as the LTE model except that the LTE model is a standalone smartwatch with cellular capabilities.
The Galaxy Watch 4 runs on Wear OS 3.5 and as well powered by a 5nm W920 chip which Samsung claims boasts a 20% increase in CPU performance and 10x increase in GPU performance. The storage capacity has been increased to 16GB and body composition measurement has also been added alongside a long list of health and fitness tracking features.
While you can add your personal music to the Galaxy Watch 4, you also get access to Spotify and Youtube Music. Both services will allow you to stream music on the go from the watch over wifi. And with a premium account, you can add music from both Spotify and Youtube Music which you can listen to offline.
Google Assistant has finally arrived on the Galaxy Watch 4, this in addition to Bixby, gives you two voice assistants to choose from. Google Map and other interesting features makes the Galaxy Watch 4 the second most shipped smartwatch after Apple Watch Series 7.
Now, let’s talk about the differences between the Bluetooth and LTE models of the Galaxy Watch 4. Note that this comparison features the 44mm size of the Galaxy Watch 4. The 40mm size is also available in Bluetooth and LTE, but the battery life and size differ from the 44mm.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Bluetooth vs LTE: Full Specifications Comparison
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) (LTE) Full Specifications, Features, Price, Pros and Cons
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) Full Specifications, Features, Price, Pros and Cons
|ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE||ABOUT DEVICE|
|Device name||Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) (LTE)||Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm)|
|Device type||Fitness/Classic/Standalone smartwatch||Fitness/Sport smartwatch|
|Gender||Unisex, Women||Unisex, Women|
|Release date||August, 2021||August, 2021|
|Predecessor||Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2||Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2|
|Successor||Samsung Galaxy Watch 5||Samsung Galaxy Watch 5|
|Versions||Bluetooth/WiFi only, LTE||Bluetooth/WiFi only, LTE|
|Dimension||44.4 x 43.3 x 9.8 mm||44.4 x 43.3 x 9.8 mm|
|Weight||30g (excluding straps)||30g (excluding straps)|
|Case material||Armor Aluminum||Armor Aluminum|
|Strap material||Fluoroelastomer, Hybrid leather||Fluoroelastomer, Hybrid leather|
|Bezel material||Armor Aluminum||Armor Aluminum|
|Strap size||20 mm||20 mm|
|Interchangeable strap||20mm, Yes||20mm, Yes|
|Screen protection||Corning Gorilla glass DX+||Corning Gorilla glass DX+|
|Water resistance||Yes, 5ATM||Yes, 5ATM|
|Swim-proof||Yes, recommended||Yes, recommended|
|Color||Black, Green, Silver||Black, Green, Silver|
|Display size||1.4 inches||1.4 inches|
|Display type||Super AMOLED, Full color||Super AMOLED, Full color|
|Display resolution||450 x 450||450 x 450|
|Pixel density||454.5 PPI||454.5 PPI|
|Custom watch face||Yes||Yes|
|Input type||2 Physical buttons, Digital rotating bezel, Touchscreen||2 Physical buttons, Digital rotating bezel, Touchscreen|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth v5.0||Bluetooth v5.0|
|Memory card slot||No||No|
|CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY||CELLULAR CONNECTIVITY|
|Technology||GSM / HSPA / LTE||None|
|Third-party apps alert||Yes||Yes|
|Reply to Notifications||-||-|
|Sensor(s)||BIA sensor||BIA sensor|
|ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING||ACTIVITY TRACKING|
|Heart rate monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Underwater heart rate tracking||—||—|
|Battery type||Non-removable Li-ion battery||Non-removable Li-ion battery|
|Battery life||~2 days||~2 days|
|Charging type||Charging dock, WPC based wireless charging||Charging dock, WPC based wireless charging|
|Charging time||1-2 hours||1-2 hours|
|Chipset||Exynos W920||Exynos W920|
|CPU||1.18GHz Dual-core (Cortex-A55)||1.18GHz Dual-core (Cortex-A55)|
|GPU||Mali™-G68 MP2||Mali™-G68 MP2|
|Operating system||Wear OS 3.5||Wear OS 3.5|
|Companion app||Samsung Galaxy Wearable app||Samsung Galaxy Wearable app|
|Compatibility||Android 6.0+, RAM 1.5GB+||Android 6.0+, RAM 1.5GB+|
|Payment system||Google Pay, Samsung Pay||Google Pay, Samsung Pay|
|Voice command||Google Assistant, Yes, Bixby||Google Assistant, Yes, Bixby|
|Find my phone||Yes||Yes|
|Box content||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, Straps||Charger, Manual, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, Straps|
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Bluetooth vs LTE Prices -The Bluetooth model is cheaper
Starting with the Prices, the LTE model is priced higher as a result of its standalone capabilities. The 40mm Bluetooth model costs $249.99, while the 44mm Bluetooth model costs $279.99.
On the other hand, the 40mm LTE model costs $299.99, while the 44mm LTE model costs $329.99. So, you’ll have to pay extra more to get the LTE model.
Cellular Connectivity/Standalone Capabilities – The LTE model is a standalone smartwatch
The main difference between the LTE and Bluetooth models of the Galaxy Watch 4 is the presence of an eSIM in the LTE model. This enables standalone capabilities like being able to make and receive calls independent of a smartphone. It can also receive messages, and you can install apps directly on the watch independent of a smartphone.
You can do all these with the Bluetooth model, but your phone must be nearby to make and receive calls and receive messages or to install apps.
It’s about the added freedom that comes with the LTE model. So, if you’re looking for a smartwatch that allows you to receive messages, make and receive calls without carrying your phone along, then the LTE model will suffice.
Galaxy Watch 4 LTE Carriers – Which Carriers are Supported? – A total of four models serve the globeBefore you decide to purchase the LTE model of the Galaxy Watch 4, you want to be sure that you’re buying the right model for your region. To do this head over to the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 carrier list to confirm the right model for your region.
There are a total of four models globally. These are 44mm: SM-875U, SM-875F, SM-875N, and SM-895, while that of the 40mm: SM-865U, SM-865F, and SM-865N.
SM-875U and SM-865U are the supported models in the US with T-mobile, AT&T, Verizon, and US cellular as supported carriers. Be sure to also confirm from your network provider what plans are available for the Galaxy Watch 4 LTE model.
Galaxy Watch 4 LTE vs Bluetooth Battery Life – Same battery life except when LTE is turned on
It’s the same battery capacity for both models. However, when you turn on LTE on the LTE model, the battery life will be shorter. Otherwise, you get up to 2 days of battery life with the 44mm size or just over a day of battery life with the 40mm size. This is quite abysmal but still better than what you get with the Apple Watch Series 7 which only averages about a day of battery life. Nonetheless, I recommended some tips that can help you get a little longer battery life from the Galaxy Watch 4
Does the LTE Model Work Without Cellular Connectivity?
This is one question we have received from our audience. Yes, you can use the LTE model just like the Bluetooth model. Go to settings in the watch menu and turn off LTE to use the device as the Bluetooth model. They are the same devices except for the LTE connectivity capability of the LTE model.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Features
Both models of the Galaxy Watch 4 have the same armor aluminum case paired with fluoroelastomer or hybrid leather straps. The straps can be swapped with 20mm standard straps for the 40mm or 22mm for 44mm. Both models also have an AMOLED display as well as two physical buttons, a touchscreen, and a digital rotating bezel for effortless navigation.
Both models are also equipped with loads of activity tracking features such as tracking your steps, floors climbed, distance covered, sleep, heart rate, SpO2 measurement, ECG, blood pressure, and the newly added body composition measurement. There are over 41 preloaded sports modes to choose from and each of these also has an inbuilt GPS for outdoor activity tracking.
- Has a 1.4 inches always-on display powered by super AMOLED. Navigation is via touchscreen support, 2 physical buttons and a digital rotating bezel. 40mm has a 1.2 inches display size.
- Case is made of armor aluminum, bezel is also made of armor aluminum while straps are made of fluoroelastomer.
- 44mm size is available in black, green and silver colors. The 40mm size is available in black, pink-gold and silver colors.
- Rated 5ATM (50 meters) Swim-proof and you can eject water from the loudspeaker after immersion in water.
- Watch face is interchangeable, and you can select from preloaded watch faces or choose more from the app store.
- Rugged smartwatch with MIL-STD-810G- US military grade rating for shock.
- Equipped with 16GB storage capacity allowing you store your favourite tracks. You can also stream music from popular services like Spotify. To get best music experience, connect a headphone.
- It is equipped with both a microphone and loudspeaker.
- Features voice assistant like Google Assistant and Bixby by Samsung that will allow you use your voice to do simple tasks.
- Features on-the-go non-contactless payment with Samsung pay. Google Pay is expected to also be available in the future.
- LTE model is a standalone smartwatches that allows you make and receive calls and receive messages independent of a smartphone.
- Keeps you connected to all that matters to you like email, SMS, reminders, weather forecast, unlock phone, music playback on phone, remote camera control and notifications from third-party apps are beamed to your watch.
- Equipped with 1.5GB RAM and a new 5nm W920 Exynos chip which according to Samsung enables 20% faster CPU and 10x faster GPU performance.
- Will run on the new Wear OS/Tizen operating system out of the box. It’s an overhauled OS with Samsung’s One UI 3.0 interface that enables better user experience plus access to more apps.
- Its compatible with Android 6.0 or higher, RAM 1.5GB above
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (44mm) Fitness Tracking Features
- It will continuously track all the basic such as your steps, calories, distance and floors climbed.
- Comprehensively tracks your sleep in four stages; light, deep, awake and REM.
- Comprehensively tracks your heart rate continuously, and will show your average, maximum and resting heart rate.
- Allows you to measure your stress level and can help you manage stress via guided breathing sessions.
- There is an electrical heart sensor that will allow you take ECG tracking for irregular heart rhythms and can help you detect atrial fibrillations.
- Features blood pressure monitoring that allow you to easily measure your blood pressure directly from the watch. You must calibrate the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic with a traditional cuff to get the best result. You will need to install the Samsung Health Monitor app to do this.
- There are about 90 preset workout modes for you to choose from with the ability to auto detect and track 7 of these.
- It features Spo2 measurement, a feature that allows you to measure your blood oxygen directly from the watch.
- Features incidental fall detection that will call preset emergency contacts when the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic detects a hard fall. It also features SOS emergency feature that allow you set emergency contacts the watch will auto call when you press the home button three times. It will also send messages to a preset emergency contact with your location.
- Tracks your fitness level and show your VO2 Max. after working out outdoors.
- There is the hand washing app that will remind to wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds.
- New: Features Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) that will allow you measure your body composition. It will measure your body fat, body water, skeletal muscle mass and BMI.
- Compact, premium, stylish and lightweight design.
- A comprehensive fitness smartwatch.
- 16GB onboard music storage.
- Loudspeaker and microphone inbuilt.
- A rugged and durable device certified MIL-STD-810G.
- Has physical rotating bezel for easy navigation.
- Wear OS gives you access to more apps.
- Great performance with Exynos W920 and 1.5GB RAM.
- A standalone smartwatch
- Battery life is short.
- Not compatible with iOS devices.
- ECG, blood pressure and BIA might not work with non-Samsung phones.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Bluetooth vs LTE – Which Model is Right For You?
Obviously, the LTE is a better smartwatch. It’s a more comprehensive smartwatch that allows you to make calls and receive messages independent of a smartphone. However, it will cost you more money.
This is why the Bluetooth model is a more popular choice among the populace. It’s cheaper, yet offers the same features as the LTE model but will require you to carry your phone along if you want to make and receive calls.
So, it’s up to you to decide if you really want the extra features that come with the LTE model and if you can afford the extra cost which also includes the cost of a data subscription for the watch.
What’s the difference between LTE and Bluetooth Galaxy watch 4?
Like we mentioned earlier, the difference between the LTE and Bluetooth model of the Galaxy Watch 4 is that the LTE model comes with an eSIM that enables cellular connectivity and this allows it to make and receive calls independent of a smartphone. The Bluetooth model can also make and receive calls but will require your phone to be nearby to do this.
Moreover, you can also receive messages on the LTE model without a smartphone as well as use Google Maps independent of your phone. The Bluetooth model requires your phone to perform these same functions.
Does Galaxy Watch 4 LTE have Bluetooth?
Yes, the Galaxy Watch 4 LTE has Bluetooth. It also has an eSIM which is where it differs from the Bluetooth model. Both models have WiFi and Bluetooth v5.0.
How do I make calls from my Galaxy watch 4 without my phone?
You need the Galaxy Watch 4 LTE model to make and receive calls without a phone. This is why it’s referred to as a standalone smartwatch.
Can the Galaxy Watch 4 make calls?
Both the Galaxy Watch 4 LTE and Bluetooth models can make and receive calls. However, the Bluetooth model requires your phone to make and receive calls.
Can you use Galaxy Watch 4 LTE without LTE?
Absolutely! You can use the Galaxy Watch 4 LTE without LTE activated. The LTE model looks and functions just like the Bluetooth model, but has extra features thanks to the presence of an eSIM that enables cellular capabilities.